This software update can be used only with the xTAB-9 device (don't use it with other devices). Update can be done for the customer's own risk. Improperly done update can harm your device and may make it unusable. We can't take responsibility for the harms and damages if the update hasn't been done properly. Repair of a device caused by an improperly done update is not under warranty.
Applying this software update will cause the erasure of installed applications, settings, documents, photos, etc.. Please create a backup of your important data before the update procedure. The software update contains the following changes:
- update to Android v4.4 (KitKat) operating system
Throughout the update procedure, don't turn off the device and don't disconnect the USB cable. The update procedure will be finished after you see the user interface of the Android operating system.
To apply the update, please follow the required steps below:
- Download and extract rkbatchtool-v1_7.zip and wayteq_xtab_9_v4_4_0729.zip files. You will see two folders: "drivers" and "tool" in rkbatchtool-v1_7.zip file. The drivers folder contains the required driver and the tool folder contains firmware updater application. wayteq_xtab_9_v4_4_0729.zip contains the firmware and MD5 hash code (29712c945b6e8718fecede782bd170e3).
- Charge the battery fully. Do not connect the AC charger to the Tablet PC while updating, because updating won't work if charger is connected.
- Installing the driver:
Turn on the Tablet PC. Wait until Android system loads, then connect the device to your PC with the USB cable. Start the tool/RKBatchTool.exe application. You will see a number with a purple square background at the "Connected Devices" part in the firmware updater application. Click Switch button. The number will change colour to green. If the driver isn't already installed, the window of the driver wizard will pop up.
- Choose the "Browse my computer for driver software" menu item.
- Select "Include subfolders" and then the "Browse" button to select the folder containing the driver (rockusb.sys) file. (Example: “Download location”\drivers – Select the folder of your computer's architecture).
- The PC will install the driver. After the successful installation, click on the Finish button.
- Using the firmware updater application:
If you closed the application after the last step, start the tool/RKBatchTool.exe application again.
- The firmware update process:
- If you disconnected device from PC go to step a), if connection is on go to step d).
- Turn on the device. Connect the device to the PC with the USB cable.
- You will see a number with a purple square background at the "Connected Devices" part in the firmware updater application.
- Click Switch button. The number will change colour to green.
- Browse for the downloaded firmware image (WayteQ_xTAB_9_Android_4.4_0729.img).
- Start the firmware update procedure with clicking on the Restore button.
- This update will take some minutes. Meanwhile don't use the Tablet PC or your computer.
- After a successful update, you will see the "**********Upgrade Done Success<1> Fail<0>**********" message.
- After that, you can close the firmware updater application. The Tablet PC will reboot automatically and you will see the user interface of the Android operating system.